The Met Gala, Monday 1st May 2017. Theme: Avant Garde inspired by Rei Kawakubo/ Comme des Garçons.
One of the most influential annual fashion events, the opening party for the Metropolitan Museum’s annual fashion exhibition. The Met Gala isn’t necessarily about showcasing glamour and class, but to demonstrate how fashion can be displayed as art.
This years theme was inspired by the designer of Comme des Garçons, a Japanese fashion label. I would hope that those reading my blog would know the brand, but in reality, it’s not everyone’s type. You should recognise it by the love heart with the eyes printed on some of their stuff.
This theme channelled a Japanese vibe with plenty of detail. Have a look at what I thought of the outfits below!
- Cara Delevinge wearing Chanel: Honestly love it, she looks so hot. Compliments her body to a T. Pulled it off 100%
2. Rihanna wearing Comme des Garçons: If you’re going to be wearing the label that the event is themed around, you will be winning regardless. It was something else. Not a huge fan of the right side, but the left I adore. Although in regards to her hair and makeup, oh my loved it.
3. Gigi Hadid in Tommy Hilfiger: Honestly this would look so so much better if it was in a different colour. There needs to be more of a contrast between her skin and the dress. Was disappointed in this to be honest.
4. Katy Perry in custom gown by John Galliano: She hit the nail on the head with this look. Matches the brief to a T.
5. Kendall Jenner wearing La Perla: Honestly, I don’t like this, but she just looks so gorgeous and incredible and pulls it off so well that I am conditioned to just like it. SHE JUST LOOKS SO GOOD. The red lip really brings the whole outfit together.
6. Bella Hadid wearing Alexander Wang: *Gasping* What the flip??? So many questions. Why to begin with. I really don’t like this. Not a fan of the fit and why are the shoes connected with the jumpsuit??
7. Lily-Rose Depp in Chanel: I already adore her and this look makes me love her even more. She is incredible without even trying and adds that Japanese influence.
8. Miranda Kerr: Pretty sure I died a million times. I’m in awe. So far this is the winner for me. SHE IS SO GORGEOUS. So simple and elegant but matches the theme perfectly. Love it.
9. Zendaya in Dolce & Gabbana Couture: We all know she’s extra, but when she is, she never fails to be. Love the pattern, the fit, the style, the length. Miranda still winning but this is coming close second.
10. Selena Gomez wearing Coach: Not sure if it channels the Avant Garde theme, but it matches a lot more compared to other looks. Very pretty and delicate.
11. Ruth Negga in Valentino: I don’t like this, but I do believe it captures the delicate form of art, especially in the form of the exhibition itself.
12. Alexa Chung in Diane von Furstenberg: Couldn’t not include my favourite. Aw she looks so pretty.
13. Taylor Hill: Classic and gorgeous
14. Helen Lasichanh in Comme des Garçons: Nope. Not a fan.
15. Lily Collins in Giambattista: Did anyone have to look twice?? I am blown away she looks incredible but this is also so out of her typical style.
Who was your favourite?
Much Love, Jess xx